Welcome to this week’s Nutrition News! This week we saw less articles than usual, but there were a few on specific topics such as dieting, weight loss and nutrition in the elderly.
First up, we have some articles on diet and weight loss (some with some useful tips too):
- Are you accidently missing-out on essential vitamins in a bid to loose weight? Dietitian Lucy Jones weighs in…
- The problem with having ‘cheat meals’ and what to do instead:
- A new study suggests eating alone may be the key to a successful diet:
- Is this food making us all fat? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39254804
- Cooking from scratch can make you healthier and help you save a few pounds, according to recent US study: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170314150926.htm
We also saw some fab articles on Functional Nutrition & Food Choices:
- Do consumers really want added functionality in their foods? http://www.nutraingredients.com/Markets-and-Trends/Naturally-functional-Are-consumers-turned-off-by-added-functionality#.WMpY1wfrgYI.twitter
- Ditch the protein bars–here are some simple food-swaps that can boost protein intake:
- Microbiome myths and how to help your gut from our friend, Laura Thomas: http://magazine.healthbloggerscommunity.com/microbiome-myths-really-help-digestion/
- A top 10 list of common but easy-to-repair nutrition mistakes:
This week elderly nutrition hit the nutrition news on a large scale too, including a blog from me:
- This week I’ve teamed up with Be Independent Home Care to raise awareness about healthy nutrition for the elderly: http://www.srnutrition.co.uk/2017/03/healthy-nutrition-older-people
- Loosing weight in old age can be an alarm bell signaling malnutrition or cancer:
- Better access is needed for nutrition advice in the elderly. http://www.itv.com/news/granada/update/2017-03-14/charity-calls-for-better-access-to-exercise-and-nutrition-advice-for-elderly/
- A new style of ‘pureed’ foods for the elderly: http://www.itv.com/news/central/update/2017-03-16/report-realistic-pureed-food-which-looks-like-a-meal/
And finally, an assortment of interesting of food-related articles and studies!
- Great news for cheese-lovers! Cheese consumption does not increase LDL cholesterol, according to one recent study: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/cheese-makes-no-difference-to-cholesterol-study_uk_58c906a0e4b022994fa342b1?utm_hp_ref=uk-health
- Fish oil supplements may help prevent secondary heart failure:
- New research shows exercise levels in children taper off long before adolescence:
- Why Nutrition is so important in the early years, with quotes from me: http://reliefweb.int/report/world/millions-need-urgent-food-aid-why-nutrition-young-children-also-long-term-crisis
Thanks for tuning in to this week’s Nutrition News. Let us know if there are any articles we have missed and please do send any feedback. Thanks for reading, have a lovely weekend!