Welcome to this week’s Nutrition News! A slightly quieter week this week but we saw plenty of articles on School Food, Exercise and Much More.
First up though, we can’t not talk about THAT Daily Mail article, which came out this week.
- Top “Nutritionists” name perfectly healthy foods they will avoid (for no real reasons): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4417112/The-surprising-foods-nutritionists-say-d-NEVER-touch.html
- Luckily, real scientists were there to fight back against the ridiculous claims: http://angry-chef.com/blog/the-10-surprising-nutritionists-that-real-scientists-say-they-would-never-touch
We also saw lots of talk around school meals & child obesity this week. Can school meals play more of a role in the obesity epidemic?
- Obesity Action Scotlandurges more salads and a fewer puddings in schools: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39647449
- Amsterdam’s solution for schools to combat obesity: https://tinyurl.com/mrk7yzg
- The number of children going hungry during the school holidays is on the increase: https://tinyurl.com/l6jasxb
- Shocking statistics reveal that over a third on children in Warwickshire are obese by the time they leave primary school: https://tinyurl.com/l2gyjdn
- Exposure to fast food adverts can increase the risk of obesity in children, finds US study: https://tinyurl.com/kfffght
This week’s Nutrition News also saw some great articles on the benefits of exercise:
- Cycling to work can help you live longer and cut cancer risk by halve, study reveals: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39641122
- Regular exercise can reduce risk of health attacks, according to researchers: https://tinyurl.com/lstdmc2
- Also, researchers claim that exercise can be contagious!: https://tinyurl.com/n7svrcv
- Drinking beetroot juice before exercise can strengthen the brain, according to a new study: https://tinyurl.com/luvgd3d
There were also lots of nutrition articles looking at new research on specific nutrients and diets:
- Diets high in salt can make you hungry, not thirsty, according to new studies: https://tinyurl.com/m8fcd72
- Consuming low-fat milk and yogurt, rather than whole-fat dairy products, can reduce risk of depression, according to some research: https://tinyurl.com/mbxpn8m
- Swapping meat for plant protein may protect against type 2 diabetes development: https://tinyurl.com/k2xpbps
- A healthy supply of zinc can help protect cardiac health, according to a new study: https://tinyurl.com/kvwno3a
And to finish off this week’s Nutrition News, are a couple of random articles, including my article this week looking at beating food cravings during pregnancy:
- Check out my blog on some top tips to beating food cravings during pregnancy: https://www.srnutrition.co.uk/2017/04/food-cravings-during-pregnancy
- Isour ‘quick-fix’ approach to nutrition impacting our nutritional education?: https://tinyurl.com/meqsp57
- An article about the relationship between weight and fertility: https://tinyurl.com/kezno2q
Thanks for taking time to read this week’s Nutrition News. Let me know if you notice anything missing and do send over any feedback if you find it useful.