Breastfeeding helps you use up fat stores placed down during pregnancy. However, you can try and lose a little extra weight when breastfeeding, if you do it sensibly! Losing weight too quickly can be dangerous, especially at this time when you need your energy and health in order to care for your baby. If you want to lose weight, aim for no more that 1-2lbs/week, and make sure you start slowly as your body is recovering from giving birth. The best way to lose weight is to make sure you are eating a well-balanced and nutritious diet, exercising and cutting down on foods high in fat and/or sugar.
- Eat regular meals and snacks
- Opt for nutrient-dense foods such as fruit and vegetables.
- Introduce exercise slowly– start with walking and build up to more intense exercise as you get stronger.
- Eat no less that 1,800kcal/day.
- Make homemade foods whenever possible and freeze big batches to save time
- Be patient and remember to put yours and baby’s health first.