A healthy lunch is always a tough one to get right – especially when you have a busy life and often don’t have time to plan out your meals in advance. So often our middle-of-the-day meal gets pushed to the back of our minds until, at that last moment, when we have just five minutes and a grumbling stomach, we have to make a quick decision. It is no wonder that so often people are relying on high fat high sugar foods, takeaways and junk to get them through to the end of the day.
Ideally it is important to try and plan your meals in advance to ensure that you are making the most out of your lunch and packing your body with plenty of those essential nutrients.
My advice has always been to aim to make your lunch the night before and take it into work/have it ready in the fridge for the next day. You can do this really easily by simply making bigger portions of your evening meal and putting half of it away for lunch tomorrow, or by spending five to ten minutes, whilst your evening meal is cooking, putting together a healthy lunch for the next day!
After chatting to friends and colleagues, SR Nutrition wanted to compile a list of lunch ideas that are healthy, easy to prepare and scrumptious to suit everyone. Please feel free to add to our list by sending in your favourite lunch recipes and ideas to us here.
Lunch away the healthy way….
- Pitta bread sandwiches and salad
- Tuna and sweetcorn (mixed with plain yoghurt) sandwich in wholemeal bread
- Hummus and avocado on toast
- Homemade soups with wholemeal bread rolls
- Rye crisp bread with salmon and cottage cheese
- Chicken and roasted vegetable wrap
- Porridge with mixed dried fruits
- Homemade spaghetti bolognaise (vegetarian or not with plenty of veggies)
- Pitta pizzas and salad
- Homemade lentil and potato curry
- Homemade pizza with vegetable toppings
- Smoked mackerel salad
- Cold mixed bean salad with bread roll
- Tuna pasta salad
- Sardines in tomatoes on toast
- Cheese and vegetable quiche
- Roasted vegetables and couscous
- Jacket potato with beans or tuna
- Hardboiled egg and toast fingers
- Salmon and cucumber sandwiches
- Enchiladas –bean and sweetcorn in wrap with a sprinkling of cheese
- Mushroom risotto loaf
- Spanish omelette
- Hummus and cucumber sandwiches
- Roasted vegetables and hummus and a bread roll