Welcome to Nutrition News! This week on Nutrition News there was a range of articles from the benefit of having a pasta dish in the diet, to the implementation of sugar tax that will launch this Friday.
This week there were many articles about the Veganism trend taking over.
- A research identified that there are more than 3.5 million vegans in Britain: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/35-million-people-in-the-uk-are-now-vegan_uk_5ac49b5ee4b093a1eb2087cb?utm_hp_ref=uk-diet-and-fitness
- Here a little bit more on what motivate people to be vegan: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/apr/01/vegans-are-coming-millennials-health-climate-change-animal-welfare
- Food industry identified a decrease in yoghurt consumption from last year and the cause can be the number of people becoming vegan: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/30/yoghurt-sales-slump-consumers-ditch-sugary-treats-dairy-free/
- Also, this week on Nutrition News it was mentioned about how meat protein is linked to heart diseases and how protein from nuts and seeds are beneficial for the heart health: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180403111106.htm
Nowadays, there are so many diets which picture carbohydrate as the bad boy. However, this week a research was released saying that including pasta in the diet won’t interfere with weight gain.
- On Nutrition News this week an explanation in how eating pasta in moderation doesn’t increase weight gain: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/pasta-can-be-part-of-a-healthy-diet-study-suggests_uk_5ac47ff0e4b063ce2e5728f7?utm_hp_ref=uk-diet-and-fitness
- While fad diets exclude carbs from our diet, a research discovers that 3 portions of pasta per week don’t increase weight gain: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/pasta-good-death-carbphobia/
This Friday the sugar tax will take place in the UK and there was so much about it in the news.
- Are the sugary drinks becoming healthier after the sugar tax implementation?: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/apr/02/time-to-stockpile-irn-bru-how-sugar-tax-change-nations-favourite-drinks
- On this article, there is an explanation in how the taxes in sugary drink, alcohol and tobacco can be efficient: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/apr/04/sin-tax-sugar-alcohol-tobacco-to-help-the-poor?CMP=twt_gu
- Here are some thoughts about the price increase of alcohol and sugary drinks and if it will be effective: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43414777
- In Scotland, 1 in 4 people consume half of the sugar allowance by 11 am and it is down to sugary drinks: https://www.scotsman.com/news/one-in-four-scots-consume-half-a-day-s-sugar-by-11am-1-4718761
Also, there was some news about childhood obesity.
- On this article, it was found that obesity in early age can affect the liver health in children: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180404093950.htm
- In Wales over a quarter of children aged between 4 and 5 years old are obese or overweight. Read more on here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43630747
And to finish up, a range of interesting miscellaneous articles.
- On Nutrition News there is a detailed article explaining about sugar level: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/blood-sugar-glucose-levels-mean-should/
- On my blog this week I’m talking about calcium intake during pregnancy: https://www.srnutrition.co.uk/2018/04/am-i-getting-enough-calcium-in-my-diet-during-pregnancy
- A research has found that smokers have a poorer diet than non-smokers: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180404093917.htm
- NHS has announced that it will ban the sale of sugary drink in hospitals by July: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/04/sugary-drinks-banned-sale-nhs-hospitals-july/
- Also, NHS reveals the high number of patients admitted to hospital because of obesity: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43640575
- Here are some tips for feeding children during growth spurts: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/why-its-so-important-to-feed-teens-well-during-growth-spurts/2018/04/03/c8d2cf98-2c7c-11e8-b0b0-f706877db618_story.html?utm_term=.60a01cfb8e24
- Some interesting findings of feeling hungry while trying to lose weight and advice on choosing more filling food: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/hunger-may-increase-as-the-pounds-decrease-here-are-tactics-to-tame-it/2018/03/30/914005f6-2bcc-11e8-b0b0-f706877db618_story.html?utm_term=.3ab81576acdb
- The good and bad sides of consuming coffee and should it have a warning label to advise consumers: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2018/04/02/coffee-warning-label-conflicts-with-public-health-guidance/
Thanks for reading Nutrition News! Have a great week and we hope to see you again next week!