Welcome to Nutrition News! This week it was a valuable time for the childhood obesity strategy with many articles about this subject, but we also found articles about different diets and recipe tips.
This week in the Nutrition News the hot topic was that the Prime Minister, Theresa May, announced the new strategy for childhood obesity:
- In this report, you can find the methods that the government has proposed to half the incidence of childhood obesity by 2030: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-measures-announced-to-halve-childhood-obesity-by-2030
- In here there is an explanation about the big picture of childhood obesity: https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2018/jun/24/obesity-crisis-demands-more-action-and-investment
- The governments childhood obesity strategy takes aim at supermarkets in their selling methods of sugary and fattening products: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jun/24/helm-boseley-health-diet-eating-obesity-policy-eating-sugar-salt-fat
- Also, calorie counts to be exposed in restaurants was part of the strategy: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/06/23/restaurants-told-reveal-calorie-counts-government-plans-halve/
- More on the childhood obesity strategy here: https://news.sky.com/story/proposed-ban-on-selling-energy-drinks-to-kids-to-cut-obesity-11414782
- Some opinions on the childhood obesity strategy released this week: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44592585
- Another one to read regaridng the childhood obesity strategy: https://www.newfoodmagazine.com/news/67977/uk-childhood-obesity-2030/
- And of course, what the strategy means to the food industry: https://www.marketingweek.com/2018/06/25/ad-industry-faces-fight-on-junk-food-advertising/#.WzOLQtK3YiY.twitter
- The effect of the food industry on the strategy released: https://www.foodnavigator.com/Article/2018/06/25/UK-aims-to-halve-childhood-obesity-by-2030#.WzEOr7hwK3E.twitter
Also, Scotland and Wales had some news on obesity:
- Food standard Scotland is also on the obesity case. Have a look here at their campaign: http://www.foodstandards.gov.scot/consumers/healthy-eating/its-time-to-say-notoupsizing
- Following Wales concern about childhood obesity, in this article, there is an example of meals for children that attend nursery: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-44621452
Find below two articles with recipes that compliment this lovely weather that we are having here in England.
- Some good tips for salads that would be great on a hot day: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/recipes/summer-salad-ideas-colour-texture-delicious-dressings/
- Easy vegetarian meals: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/recipes/best-one-tin-vegetarian-meals-summer/
To finish up, miscellaneous articles in the Nutrition News for you:
- This week in my blog I am talking about the plant-based diet. Find out more here: https://www.srnutrition.co.uk/2018/06/plant-based-eating
- An interesting read on Nutrition in the media in the Nutrition News this week: http://chrismaddison.com/2018/06/25/celebrity-bashers/
- Some nutritionists have their say in what type of food they avoid: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nutritionists-food-avoid-diet-health-a8417836.html
- Here is an article emphasising the Mediterranean Diet to be a healthy eating pattern to follow: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2018/06/22/predimed-retraction-republication/
Thanks for reading Nutrition News! Have a great weekend and we hope to see you again next week!