This month we’re going to be trying something new and experimenting with a Vietnamese dish – sound intriguing? Don’t worry, they are super quick, easy and fun to make, especially if you’re getting little ones involved too.
Summer rolls are delicacies, similar to the spring roll, that are made with fresh rice paper rather than frying them, making them a great option for both mum and baby. These summer rolls are also packed with herbs, vegetables and proteins that are easily available at a local supermarket! Rice paper should be available from your local supermarket too!
This meal is suitable for meat eaters, veggies and vegans!
This recipe also contains plenty of veggies, adding vitamins, minerals and fiber to the dish. The tofu/chicken also offers a lean source of protein, and the peanut butter contains healthy fats and some extra minerals too.
These summer rolls are perfect finger food for a light lunch, as a side for a summer salad or an ideal treat for a sunny picnic. As they have a little bit of a crunch and include raw veggies, these are ideal for babies who have teeth and are confident with finger foods, probably around 10-12 months+, depending on baby’s current chewing abilities.
serves 1-2 adults and up to 2 little ones
- 12 sheets of rice paper
- 1 medium sized chicken breast (or 150g of tofu)
- 1 red pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 yellow pepper
- 4 spring onions
- ¼ red cabbage
- 1 tbsp of peanut butter (to serve)
Let’s Get Started!
- Slice your chicken (or tofu) into 12 pieces and place on a non-stick baking tray. Place in the oven at 200⁰c/gas mark 6 for 10-12 minutes.
- Whilst the chicken/tofu is baking, it’s time to prepare your veg – and it’s so simple. All you require for this is a knife and a grater! Slice the peppers and spring onions finely with a knife to create long, thin slices and grate your carrot and your red cabbage. Place each vegetable aside, ready to serve.
- Remove your chicken/tofu from the oven and leave to cool slightly.
- Now it’s time to get the fun started! Soak a sheet of rice paper for around 15 seconds in lukewarm water (or until the sheet becomes soft) and place on a damp plate or chopping board.
- Add your chicken/tofu and all the rainbow veggies to the rice paper, just like a wrap or burrito. Then roll up, place aside and repeat.
- And that’s it! Mix the peanut butter with a little bit of warm water to soften and place on the side for a dip for the rolls.
To print or download your very own recipe cards, click the link below!
‘Rainbow Summer Rolls’ Recipe Card
Article written by Emma Green, PgDip Student Dietitian at University of Chester, Registered Associate Nutritionist and owner of Emma’s Food Stories – with support from SR Nutrition.