This year I just had a little party for Raffy. But I wanted to offer some “healthy” food options that were still appealing to the children that came along (mostly family). I was wracking my brains for ages to try and come up with a cake too. Healthy Birthday Cake ideas for toddlers are quite difficult to think of, ones that aren’t full of sugar and icing but one that is also a bit more exciting than standard banana bread!
Last year I made Raffy a fruit tower cake, and he absolutely loved it. But this year I wanted to try something new…eventually I had the idea of making him a GIANT pancake cake.
So here are the instructions to make a Giant PanCAKE if you’re interested in giving it a go:
- Make up the pancake mixture as per instructions here, but double the contents!
- Once the mixture is made, use it to make FOUR large (rather than multiple mini) pancakes and then set them aside on a cooling tray to cool
- Start making your “frosting” or “icing” by mixing the following in a blender:
- 2 handfuls of berries
- 200g crème fraiche (could also use soya yogurt, but it may need a little more whisking)
- ½ a tub of crème cheese
- Blend until the mixture is well combined and then pop it in the fridge for as long as you can.
- Once you’re ready to put your cake together, whisk the ingredient together really, really well – it takes a good few minutes to get it really thick. You want it so that the mixture no longer dollops off the whisk and feels very solid.
- Spread a layer on the top of a pancake and go ahead and create your layers
- Finish with some chopped fruits on top and a candle – you could also great chocolate on top too
I’m not actually very artistic, so I’d love to see what others can create with this ingredients and when making their own Pancake cake!
As well as Healthy Birthday Cake Ideas For Toddlers, here are a few other food options (below) that I also used for Raffy’s birthday too. I hope they give a little inspiration!