So I can’t claim this recipe idea was all from me! A few of my followers have previously said that they loved this recipe with their little ones. And after I showed a few times that I loved adding carrot (and sometimes courgette) into Raffy’s porridge in the morning, a few people wrote to me suggesting I did a “carrot cake porridge” by adding flavours such as cinnamon, ground spices and ground walnuts too.
Since posting about this on my stories the other day, I’ve had a huge amount of feedback on it and people have been asking for the recipe. So voila! Here is the recipe for my carrot cake porridge. I hope you and your little ones LOVE it as much as Raffy does. What a great way to get some veggies in first thing in the morning.
Carrot Cake Porridge Recipe for Baby
- 30-60g organic porridge oats (rolled oats are good if your little one likes a bit more texture)
- ½-1 grated carrot
- 80-120mls milk
- 1 teaspoon of ground walnuts (or a dollop of smooth, 100% peanut butter will do)
- 1 small pinch of cinnamon
- 1 small pinch of mixed spice
- Optional Extras –
- A sprinkle of milled seeds to top
- A little grated apple or a small handful of raisins
- A dollop of plain/natural yogurt
- Add the carrots to the pan and heat slightly for around 30 seconds
- Add the oats and milk to a pan and heat slowly on about mark 5 for a couple of minutes
- Add the nuts/nut butter and the cinnamon and spice (and apple/raisins if you’re adding) and mix well
- Once the porridge starts to get thick and gloopy and all the ingredients have combined remove from the heat and add to a bowl
- If you’re adding the extras (always good if you’re trying to get extra nutrients into baby’s diet) stir in the yogurt now and top with the milled seeds
- Once the porridge has cooled, it’s ready to serve.