Sometimes pasta and tomato sauce just ticks the box for me! So one of my go to recipes after a long day or a quick fix meal for Raffy is pasta or spaghetti in a homemade tomato sauce.
I’ve never really used the readymade sauces, not that there is anything wrong with them, but I do just find it so easy to make one from scratch. Also, when it comes to kiddies, some of those sauces can be high in salt and sugar and so it’s a good idea to make them from scratch so that you know exactly what’s going in.
This sauce is not claiming to be the world’s most delicious. It’s fairly basic. But that’s the point. An easy, no frills option that you can use as it is or combine with other ingredients to make it something a little special.
I’ve made some suggestions for herbs to use in the dish, but feel free to add your own combos…
Also, I’d usually try to offer some protein at main meals for little ones, especially vegetarian or vegan babies and so some of the things you combine alongside or inside this dish include:
- Butter beans, chopped
- Kidney beans
- Beef mince
You can of course also make the sauce as a topping for potatoes, with some sweet corn, spices and mince to make a chilli, as the topping for pitta pizzas, or use leftovers as a dip for fishfingers – the ideas are really endless, which is why a good homemade tomato sauce recipe is ideal!
Also you can always combine this with some of my favs, including – mushrooms, sweetcorn, roasted peppers!
So here we go, my basic tomato pasta sauce recipe.
- ½ teaspoon of olive oil to a pan
- ½ a red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped roughly
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes or around 300g chopped beef tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- ½ tablespoon basil
- ½ tablespoon tarragon
- Add the oil to a pan and gently heat before adding the onion for 2-3 mins or until it starts to soften
- Add the garlic
- Add the tomatoes and herbs.
- Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat for a simmer for around 7 mins
- Pour on top of pasta/spaghetti and add some proteins (lentils/beans/fish) to make it really balanced
Let me know if you give it a try, I’d love to see your pictures!