This Chicken Fajita Tray Bake Recipe recipe is a perfect family recipe that’s quick and easy and an ideal option for batch cooking for easier meals later in the week. The recipe has no added salt or sugar – most pre-made spice mixes contain salt and sugar so making your own very simply adds the flavour without adding any salt or sugar. You can season adult portions separately if you wish!
For younger babies, you could serve this recipe with pepper sticks or the mash the beans to a puree while for toddlers you could build in some fun to the mealtime and encourage them to build their own wraps.
Serves 4 adults
- 2-3 onions, each cut into 8 wedges*
- 2 large peppers, cut into 1cm strips*
- 2 large tomatoes cut into 1cm cubes, or 200g chopped tinned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 400g skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tin of black beans in water, drained and rinsed
- Rice or tortilla wraps
- Soured cream or yoghurt
- Fresh coriander
- Lime juice
- Fresh sliced chilli (optional for adults or older children)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan/ 220°C convection
- Mix the onion, pepper and tomatoes with the oil in a large baking tray. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the dried spices together and coat the chicken thighs and allow to marinade.
- After 5 minutes of cooking, add the beans and chicken to the tray and cook for a further 18-20 minutes till the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear.
- Serve in a fajita rice bowl, or in wraps with your choice of toppings.
*Option to use ready chopped frozen onion or pepper strips