My son Raffy is still young enough where I can get away with serving up ideas like these…soon enough he’ll be rolling his eyes at my every move so I’m going to revel in this moment as long as I can!
My foodie mate @laura_matthews_nutrition has written these fab recipes for you to make and enjoy with your children this Valentine’s Day.
These ideas are a great way to get children involved in the kitchen with little jobs like washing fruit for the kebabs or decorating pizzas with different toppings!
- 30g porridge oats
- 150ml milk (of your choice)
- Half a small raw grated beetroot
- Grated apple (optional)
- Plain yoghurt (of your choice)
- Fresh chopped strawberries
- Crushed freeze dried strawberries (optional)
- Add the porridge oats, milk & the raw grated beetroot to a saucepan.
- Cook for 10 minutes over a low heat or until thick (add more milk if it gets too thick).
- Add the grated apple to sweeten if you wish.
- Serve with plain yoghurt & fresh chopped strawberries (I also used crushed freeze dried strawberries here for extra pinkness but this is optional!)
Heart shaped pitta pizzas
Makes 4 pizzas
- 4 wholemeal pitta breads
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsp of water
- Cheddar cheese
- Toppings of your choice, e.g. tinned tuna, cooked salmon, shredded cooked chicken, mushrooms, sweetcorn, basil, etc.
- Preheat your grill to high.
- Trim and cut your wholemeal pitta bread into heart shapes with a knife (save any leftover trimmings to make breadcrumbs for fish cakes or fish fingers!).
- Dilute the tomato puree with the water and stir well.
- Spread the tomato puree sauce over the pitta breads.
- Add toppings of your choice, e.g. tinned tuna, cooked salmon, shredded cooked chicken, mushrooms, sweetcorn, basil, etc.
- Grate a little Cheddar cheese over the top of each pitta.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown!
Cupid’s Arrow Pancake & Fruit Kebabs
- Homemade plain pancakes or plain pre-made supermarket Scotch pancakes
- Tinned mandarin or peach (in juice)
- Fresh raspberries
- Fresh blueberries
- Cut out heart shapes of pancake with a small biscuit cutter or use a knife (job for the adults dependent on the age of children!).
- Thread a slice of tinned mandarin or peach onto a wooden skewer followed by raspberries, blueberries & your pancake.
You could also use whatever fruit you have available, the idea is a novelty for young children! Chop any larger pieces of fruit for younger children before serving & watch out for the sharp skewer!
Yoghurt Love Bar
- 200g thick plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp nut butter
- Chopped blueberries & strawberries
- Freeze dried strawberries
- Dusting of cocoa (optional)
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper approximately 20cm x 30cm.
- Spread 200g thick plain yoghurt all over the baking paper.
- Swirl in a teaspoon of nut butter & top with chopped blueberries, strawberries, freeze dried strawberries & a dusting of cocoa (if using).
- Freeze overnight & cut into shards. Makes a super snack!
Let me know if you try out any of these ideas! X