I’m always looking for extra ideas for finger foods for babies and options that also work well as snacks for toddlers and young children – both at home and on the go. So I remembered back in the day I used to make Raffy little fritters and he loved them. I haven’t actually made them for years, so I thought I’d give this brand new Spinach Fritter Recipe a go.
I love the idea of fritters for many occasions – breakfast, lunch or as a snack out and about. They aren’t as messy as a lot of other Baby Led Weaning Foods and are SUPER easy to make. These are also perfect as a savoury breakfast or savoury finger food options for little ones as well, which sometimes can be a little harder to come by.
Speedy Kids’ Recipe
Honestly, the brilliance of these fritters is the ease and speed with which they are made. Pop everything in a blender and they fry like a pancake! It takes just a few minutes. You can also make them smooth (like in a nutri-blender) or leave them a little chunky from the food processor. It really depends what works best for your baby/toddler.
Also, don’t be afraid to vary the veggies used in this. I went for spinach and carrot as I had them both in the fridge. The spinach makes it nice and green, but you can easily switch the carrot out for onion, courgette, tomato – you name it!
I hope you enjoy it – tag me on social media if you make this #SRNutritionrecipes!
Spinach Fritter Recipe
Makes around 6 fritters – can be frozen
- 1 large handful of spinach
- 1 medium carrot grated
- egg x 1
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 50g of plain flour (you may need more if it’s too liquid-y)
- 50mls of milk of choice
- Pinch of spices – turmeric, cumin, curry powder, whatever you have at home.
- Add everything to a blender and blend until smooth
- If it’s a little thin add some more flour (up to around 50g more); if it’s a little thick add a little splash more milk
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add a few dollops of the batter to the pan. Leave it to brown on one side for around 2 minutes before flipping it. Repeat a few times until all the batter is used up.
Serve to your baby with hummus dip or with some peanut butter spread on top or just as it is.
More recipes like this Spinach Fritter Recipe can be found in my book How to Wean Your Baby!