These calzone fingers from Dr Pippa Gibson are fab for little fingers – babies and children of all ages will love these! They use leftover pizza dough from Pippa’s easy no yeast pizza dough recipe. Whether you’re doing baby led weaning or looking for fun food ideas for your toddler, this recipe is perfect. They also make a great picnic food or snack option for little ones, now we’re getting out and about more.
- 300g pizza dough (easy no yeast pizza dough recipe)
- 120g broccoli, steamed, patted dry and finely chopped
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- 15g butter
- ½ tsp garlic powder or 1 small clove of garlic finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/ 200°C convection
- Mix the cheese and broccoli together
- Roll the dough into a long rectangle, approximately 10cm wide, using a little flour to stop it from sticking.
- Take a spoonful of the broccoli mixture, place it into the palm of your hand and squeeze it to make a sausage shape.
- Place the mixture onto the dough and cut, so the dough is 2.5-3 times the diameter of the mixture.
- Roll the dough over the mixture, ensuring you completely cover the filling. Press down to seal and leave the seam at the bottom of each calzone finger. Press firmly to close each end and if needed trim off the excess dough leaving 1cm of dough either side of the filling.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Place all the calzone fingers onto the tray with a 2 cm gap between each finger.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes till golden brown.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter, add the garlic and stir. If using raw garlic cook on a very low heat for 30 seconds.
- When the fingers are baked, remove from the oven and brush with the garlic butter.
Option to store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 days or to freeze.
You can find many yummy baby-friendly recipes in my book How to Wean Your Baby.