Makes approximately 15 bites.
- 40g butter
- 45g plain flour
- 600ml milk of choice
- 1 tsp English mustard (optional)
- 120g cheddar cheese, grated
- 150g cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 150g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 180g macaroni
- Pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- Oil for greasing OR muffin cases
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/ 200°C convection
- Bring a large pan of water to boil. Cook the macaroni according to packet instructions, and steam the cauliflower and broccoli over the top of the pasta as it cooks.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour.
- Slowly add in the milk a quarter at a time, stirring to prevent any lumps.
- Option to add 1 teaspoon of English mustard.
- Add half the grated cheese to the mix and allow to melt. Season with pepper to taste
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain well and stir into the sauce with the cauliflower and broccoli.
- Add the egg and mix.
- Line a muffin tray with cases, or lightly grease a non-stick tray. Fill each with mixture (2-3 spoonful’s).
- Top each bite with the remaining half of cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes till golden brown on top.
- Allow to cool completely in trays before removing unless in muffin cases, in which case you can remove after 5 minutes.
Suitable for freezing as easy grab and go options. Can be served microwaved or oven heated.
If you want to make this more traditional as a mac and cheese option for the whole family, go to step 7. Leave out the egg on step 8 and instead place ingredients into a large oven-proof dish. Top with the remaining half of cheese and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
Information about this recipe!
Gluten (option to use gluten free flour and pasta)
Cooking preparation – you can make this in advance and then bake when needed.
To adapt for younger babies you could make the sauce and mash in some pasta.
You can choose different cheeses which are lower in salt for this recipe.
Simple alternatives to swap:
- Use different types of pasta, not just macaroni
- Vary the cheese you use
- Swap broccoli and cauliflower for frozen peas
- Top with sliced tomatoes
- Stir through some cooked spinach (once babies are old enough to chew)
Do tag me on Instagram if you make this recipe – I love to see you and your littles enjoying them!