This recipe is one of the most popular recipes from my book and it’s an absolute favourite of mine too. The kids love it and it’s so easy to offer it mashed or blended for younger babies.
It also offers LOTS of nutrition, tonnes of flavours and a lot of texture – everything you want young children, toddlers and babies to be experiencing in their meals. Lastly – and possibly most importantly! – it’s super tasty and perfect for the whole family, whatever your age.
This recipe is in my book, it’s a staple in our house and really doesn’t take long to make – who doesn’t love a tray bake?!
So here goes, here is the recipe:
- 300g baby new potatoes, halved or in sticks
- 2 salmon fillets (add another fillet and a little more veg for a family of 4)
- 100g full fat soft cheese
- 1 lemon
- 125g asparagus, woody ends removed and chopped in half
- 1 courgette, cut into sticks
- 100g frozen peas
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Add the chopped new potatoes and courgette to a baking tray with a drizzle of olive oil and cook for an initial 15-20 minutes, until starting to soften and brown. Tip for younger babies: remove the skin from some of the potatoes and courgettes.
- Whisk together the cream cheese with 200ml boiled water until smooth then squeeze in the juice of half the lemon and cut the other half into two wedges
- Add the asparagus and lemon wedges to the tray, then lay the salmon fillets (skin side up, don’t forget to remove the skin at the end of cooking for children and babies) over the veg, return to the oven for another 10 mins, until the salmon is almost cooked
- Add the frozen peas then drizzle the lemony cream cheese mixture all over (make sure all the peas are covered in liquid so they cook properly!)
- Cook for a final 5 minutes then serve up, drizzling the creamy sauce all over and tuck in!
For young babies you can blend or mash the veggies with some of the sauce and serve alongside strips of the baked salmon. Or offer all as little finger foods for baby to self-feed.
You can find more family friendly delicious recipes like this in my book How to Wean Your Baby!
‘How to Wean Your Baby’ is your manual for weaning. Jam-packed with step-by-step guidance and tasty recipes, it will tackle fussy eating before it begins and help your baby develop the healthy eating habits they need to thriveBuy Now!