Fritters are an old favourite of mine and I haven’t created a new recipe for a while, so I thought I’d give it a go. This courgette fritter is seriously simple. It makes a fab food for baby led weaning or as a snack for toddlers, and also works well as a main meal if you bulk it out with plenty of other foods. It’s also another great BLW freezable food and a fab one for eating out and about with baby too! Winner all round.
At my house we ALWAYS have courgettes in the fridge, and that makes this a simple one for us too – it’s basically a store cupboard staple meal and you can adapt the flavours as you see fit.
I’ve blended this one, but there is no reason why you can’t blend the ingredients aside from the courgette and then add the courgette later to give it some texture and more of a burger feel. Next week I’m sharing another recipe with you for a carrot and sweetcorn frittata and I don’t blend the veggies in that one – it works well!
So here is my fritter recipe – sometimes (depending on your blender and the exact ingredients you use etc) it can come out a little wet. If so, just add a little flour until it makes a thicker batter that’s more similar to the texture of pancake batter.
Ingredients (makes 6 medium fritters)
- 1.5 courgettes, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 small handful of spinach
- Pinch of garam masala
- Pinch of cumin
- Pinch of ginger
- (you can use a pinch of any spices you like if you prefer, but these work well in this recipe)
- 5 TBSP flour (add more if still too wet & won’t form nice dollops in pan)
- A little oil for the pan
- Add all ingredients to a blender except the oil and blend roughly (the longer you blend the more liquidy it will become)
- Spoon a small dollop of the mixture into a heated pan with a little hot oil and cook for a minute or so on each side until hardened and slightly brown.
- Take out of the pan, allow to cool and serve or freeze and defrost/reheat for another day.
- Hope your little ones enjoy it and hope you enjoy another easy freezer recipe!
‘How to Wean Your Baby’ is your manual for weaning. Jam-packed with step-by-step guidance and tasty recipes, it will tackle fussy eating before it begins and help your baby develop the healthy eating habits they need to thriveBuy Now!