Well, with the first week of Wimbledon underway we thought, what better time to have a healthy treat of scones and strawberries!
We’ve got the perfect Wimbledon 2014 recipe for you AND…it’s pretty healthy!
Healthy Wimbledon Scones Recipe
230 grams/8oz of self raising self-raising flour (try using half wholemeal and half white flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
A pinch of salt
60grams/2oz low salt soft butter
30grams/1oz Sugar (I use light muscovado)
A few splashes of semi-skimmed or soya milk (to get the right consistency)
- Sift half wholemeal self-raising flour and half white self-raising flour into a bowl
- Add the baking powder and salt and mix together
- Rub the butter into the mixture with your fingers until all the flour is mixed in
- Stir in the sugar
- Add sultanas to make fruit scones or leave out to keep them plain
- Add enough milk to make a dough – not too wet but enough to make the dough a little sticky
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the sticky dough
- Use a glass or a round cutter to cut out into scone shapes
- Transfer the scones to a baking tray and bake in the oven at a high temperature (220°c) for 10-15 minutes
Serve with fresh strawberries and plain yoghurt for added sweetness.