Disclaimer: I have been working with Thermapen and they have asked me to create these recipes for them to go along with the launch of their new thermometer. So this Salmon Fishcake Recipe is brought to you in partnership with Thermapen!
I’ve been trying to get a fish cake recipe together for a very long time, so when Thermapen asked me to create some recipes for them and this was top of my list!
It took a bit of playing about with, and in all honesty this recipe CAN be created without the egg and without the cheese, but it’s less stable that way.
However, please let me know if you give these a try and if they are a winner with your little ones too?
Makes around 8 large fishcakes or 12 smaller ones
- 360g potatoes
- 120g fresh salmon (roughly 1 fillet)
- 1 very small handful of fresh spinach leaves, diced thoroughly
- 1 large handful of frozen peas
- 1 large tablespoon of sweet corn
- 60g of mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 slices of wholegrain bread, blended into breadcrumbs
- Peel and chop the potatoes and add them to a pan to boil for around 12 minutes
- Add the salmon fillet to some tin foil and bake in the oven for around 12 minutes (200℃) or until the salmon is cooked all the way though
- Defrost the peas in some boiled water and drain well
- Pop the bread into a blender and blend until you have fine breadcrumbs
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them really well and pat them down with some kitchen roll to remove any excess water. Add them to a large bowl and tear up the mozzarella and add to the bowl too
- Mash well with a potato masher
- Remove the fish from the oven, check that it’s around 60℃ and is thoroughly cooked. Remove any bones, gristle and the skin and add it into the potato mash in flakes. Add the spinach, peas, sweet corn and egg, leaving a little of the egg for later and mix well
- Form into little round cakes and dip each one in some breadcrumbs for a coating. At this stage you can freeze some of the fishcakes or pop some of them in the fridge for later
- Lay them on a foil lined or greased baking tray and brush each side with a little of the leftover egg (or you can use some oil)
- Pop in the oven for 30minutes, turn the fishcakes half way
I hope you enjoy them!