I absolutely LOVE Wimbledon! So I thought what better way to get in the spirit than making a delicious baby scone recipe. Something for us to share with our babies and toddlers.
This baby scone recipe is great as it contains no added salt and no sugar. Apart from that naturally present in the fruits and milk.
Raffy gets a scone pretty much every time he sees the grandparents. So for a while I’ve had my mind set on making a scone recipe for him, that I can also pack him off with when he goes to visit!
This scone recipe can be made into mini scones and makes around 14 of those or can make around 7-8 larger scones. It’s also a really simple, quick baking option too, perfect for snacks for toddlers or for a mini meal for young babies too.
Let me know if you try it…recipe is below.
- 230 grams/8oz of self-raising flour (try using half wholemeal and half white flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 60grams/2oz low salt soft butter/vegan spread
- 1 small apple, grated
- 1 large handful of sultanas
- A few splashes of semi-skimmed or plant milk (to get the right consistency)
- Sift half wholemeal self-raising flour and half white self-raising flour into a bowl
- Add the baking powder and mix together well
- Rub the butter into the mixture with your fingers until all the flour is mixed in – it will still be fairly dry at this stage
- Stir in the grated apple and sultanas and mix well
- Add enough milk to make a dough – not too wet but enough to make the dough a little sticky and to bind the ingredients into a ball
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the sticky dough to around 2 cm thick
- Use a glass or a round cutter to cut out into scone shapes
- Transfer the scones to a baking tray and bake in the oven at a high temperature (220°c) for 10-15 minutes
Serve with fresh strawberries and natural yogurt.