The festive season is here, and it’s one of my favourite times of year for so many different reasons. Of course, one of the biggest reasons is all of the wonderful food! I love that Christmas brings an opportunity for children to really learn about the social side of food and the joy there can be in family mealtimes.
I wanted to bring together some Christmas recipes that are perfect for the whole family to share and for little ones to get involved with cooking too!
I often get asked about how I manage sweet foods with my kids around this time of year. I wrote a really detailed blog about this last year, so do check that out if you’re worried about sugar for your kids this Christmas.
Below I’ve linked to some ideal breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks recipes for you to try – from SR Nutrition and other recipes that I’ve come across and loved! They’re not all necessarily baby or toddler focused recipes, but they are all recipes that can be adapted and enjoyed by all the family!
I find that breakfast in our house can be when my kids may have more of an appetite. I often use it as an opportunity to add in the extra nutrients, or also as a way to get in some good balance to start the day. This can be particularly helpful when routines may be a bit out of whack during the holidays! Here are some my favourite recipes for you and your little ones:
Lunch is often a little more bish-bash-bosh and may be on the go if you have plans during the holidays. The sweet potato patties are a great option to take with you on the go. The other options are ideal for when you’re at home!
- Sweet potato and chickpea patties
- Carrot, orange and ginger soup
- Broccoli and basil toastie
- Roasted squash and couscous salad – leave out the chilli, and grind the pumpkin seeds for younger children
A traditional Christmas dinner can be a great opportunity for babies who may be earlier on in their weaning journey to expose them to plenty of different foods, as well as the joy of family meals. I’ve created a full baby-friendly Christmas dinner to get your little ones involved too!
- Christmas stuffing balls
- Baby’s Christmas dinner recipe
- Festive lentil, mushroom and chestnut wellington
- Christmas dinner potato balls with cranberry sauce
Snacks can often make up a big part of little one’s food intake over the holidays! Below I’ve rounded up some perfect festive themed snacks that you can have on hand either at home or for when you’re out and about!
- Festive spiced cookies
- Wholemeal mince pies
- Christmas snowballs
- Cranberry and pistachio spiced biscuits
- Cheese and rosemary biscuits
- Cheese stars
- Little snickers bites – leave out whole nuts for <5s
- Spiced biscuits – these are an Easter recipe but we always have them at this time of year, as they’re super Christmassy!
- No added sugar apple crumble
- Lower sugar gingerbread men
- Toddler friendly mince pies
I hope you find these helpful – let me know if you’ve found anymore you’d love to add!